Thursday, January 26, 2012

Life Post: Cameras

It's been a while, once again.

The beginning of the new year is always a busy one (: Recovery from Christmas to New Year's, birthday, and then Chinese New Year (Lunar New Year).

Different than the solar new year, Chinese New Year for me is celebrated over several days. For my family, on the 28th before the first day of the new lunar year, we must have an epic house cleaning (年二十八, 洗邋遢), much like spring cleaning, and also like how many Japanese do major house cleaning for the new year as well. This year we were pretty late in cleaning, really felt like we wouldn't finish in time hahaha.

Anyway! Recently I got myself a DSLR -- though I'm still debating whether I want to keep it, I really do like it and hope to keep it, but I've never spent so much money all at once before. With my digital camera, it was very good but I always felt a bit limited; now with the Canon T2i that I got, I feel much more satisfied with taking pictures. I've only done a few tests, and am slowly learning all the functions.

My official first Manual Mode photo:
Warning: the image is really huge x_X sorry ):

I think it came out fairly okay, and.. yes we still have our Christmas Tree up (wtf???) I super super love the DSLR, my boyfriend mentioned to me that I should get a UV filter for the lens before shooting outside -- and I'm worried that I might change my mind and return the camera (am I a bad person for using the camera when I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it ?? I have 14 days to return :X though I'm about 95% sure it won't be going back to the store) 

The PDFs will load in your browser, not save to computer (at least for me it did)

While I was trying to figure out how to use my camera, I was searching for different guides -- and came across GoingManual.com. I definitely recommend it! The guide explains simply the relationship between Shutter-speed, Aperture, and ISO -- also does .. demo-type explanations .. er well I'm not good at explaining - BUT. if you're looking for a good guide to manual-mode I would definitely take a look here. Also, the tutorials are free, so no worries if you don't find it helpful hahaha (though I feel it's absolutely wonderful, I learned pretty quickly reading that)

I'm pretty broke now hahaha, but I'm still a bit iffy since getting a DSLR takes some investing (? investment ?? my english!! what is happening?!?!)

Wishlist if I keep the camera:
  • UV filter
  • Class 6+ SDHC card (my class 4 won't allow for any videos hahaha)
  • 2nd lens* 
  • Remote thing o.o!
  • Tripod
*2nd lens explanation: 
I realize as a beginner to this, I should learn as much as I can about my camera and what aspects I feel are most important etc etc. BUT. The deal I got for this camera is pretty .. well here's the explanation:
  • Staples.com has 15/20% off in store purchase (2 diff coupons)
  • Staples Rewards: usually 10% cash back in Staples Rewards on purchases 
    • Special: 25% cash back in Staples Rewards instead of 10% until January 25th
  • Price matches to competitor pricing (Best Buy!!)
And so! My purchase went like this:
Canon T2i Kit = $699.99
Price Match to Best Buy = $604.99
20% off in store Purchase = $483.99 + tax = $526 out of pocket
after 25% back in Staples Rewards = $363 + tax, about $120 in Staples Rewards

And I figure I could buy a lens at Staples with the Rewards that should be posted in February. The only catch about this deal is that I have to spend the rewards at Staples and only get like 60 days to use it all or something ):  And also, Staples doesn't have a great selection, but I figured.. $363 +tax for a T2i Kit is pretty good, or 526 for kit and 2 lens wouldn't be too bad.

Originally, when I was searching for a new camera, I had been looking at Micro 4/3rds, which are... sort of the in-between of point-and-shoots and DSLR's.  They're much more compact than a DSLR, but are still pretty bulky due to the detachable & exchangeable lenses. My boyfriend mentioned to me though, that if I'm going to upgrade I might as well get a DSLR and that any DSLR would be a huge step up from my point and shoot. I totally agree with him, but despite getting the Canon T2i -- I still can't help but look back at the Olympus Pen I had been eyeing:

Though I will say I'm quite pleased with my DSLR, the price of the Olympus Pen isn't that much cheaper than what I got my DSLR for.  Maybe sometime in the future I'll get myself this camera if I still find myself wanting it hahaha.

Ok well, hopefully blog again soon..

No comments:

Post a Comment